This delicious gluten free alternative to pizza from Christine Bailey at Nairn’s contains a crunchy protein-rich base packed with nuts and fibre rich gluten free oats.
Topped with roasted red peppers, red onion and olives this is a wonderful Mediterranean treat bursting with flavour. Perfect as a lunch or dinner-time option for the whole family, it’s a healthy pizza alternative full of slow release energy to help get more out of the day. Vary the topping ingredients according to taste.
100g / 3 1/2oz Nairn’s Gluten Free Oats
100g /3 1/2oz ground almonds
50g / 1 3/4oz rice flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp xanthum gum (optional)
125g/4 ½ oz butter
100g/3½oz flaked almonds
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 free range eggs, beaten
200ml / 7floz Passata (sieved tomato sauce)
6 cherry tomatoes halved
1 small red onion, finely sliced 2 roasted red peppers from a jar, drained and chopped
50g / 1 ¾ oz pitted black olives, halved
150g/ 5oz ball buffalo mozzarella cheese, torn into pieces
60g / 2 oz Cheddar cheese, grated
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4. Grease a 32 x 23cm/13 x 9in Swiss roll tin with oil and line it with baking parchment, leaving long edges of parchment over the sides.
2. To make the base, place the oats in a food processor with the ground almonds, flour, baking powder and xanthum gum and mix together.
3. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add to the food processor with the flaked almonds and garlic. Add the beaten eggs and mix well to form a sticky dough.
4. Tip the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and press down firmly, using your hands to form a thin crust.
5. Bake for 10 minutes until just lightly coloured.
6. Spread the Passata over the base of the tart. Top with the vegetables and cheese. Season with black pepper
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. Leave to cool slightly, then cut into slices.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Carbohydrates 16.3g of which sugars 3.3g
Total fat: 34.6g of which saturates 13g
Nutritional Information per 100g:
Carbohydrates 10.6g of which sugars 2.2g
Total Fat: 22.5g of which saturates 8.5g
Find out more about the gluten free range from Nairn’s over on their website at www.nairns-oatcakes.com.
Make It Shabby have teamed up with Nairn’s to offer one lucky reader the chance to win a hamper full of Nairn’s gluten free goodies worth £30. Click here to enter our Nairn’s competition now!